Sunday, July 26, 2009

Kannichikan Yakiniku Restaurant

You know, this is a great place with great food. I never know I could like Japanese / Korean food so much I overspent.

When I was told that we were having Japanese BBQ, I was like well okay, maybe RM40 to RM60 for this meal for my portion. Heck, I ended up paying RM90.00 and all the time I was there, It was like can I order another round and it is usually a big no-no when you dine with 2 ladies. Surprisingly, they could not get enough like me so we have order after order which was the reason why the bill added up to RM270.00 for three of us.

The restaurant is near Souled-Out, another well-known fine dining place, in Sri Hartamas. The address is:
No. 42, Jalan 28/70A
Desa Sri Hartamas
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Telephone / Fax: 03-2300 8829

We tried out the traditional Korean alcoholic drink which I find it to my liking. It is white colour like milk and I was thinking to myself why would a BBQ restaurant serves milk to customer. Ha! If only I can read Korean. The packaging fools you because it does not look like average alcohol packaging. Look at the photo, do you think it looks like a bottle of beer to you?

It tastes right for me if you know that I am a person who hardly consume alcohol and I don't like the taste of beer. Well, it tastes a bit like red wine but it has a fruity tinge to it and mild wine taste. It made of broiled rice and water so it can't be harmful right?

This place is not big. The moment we entered, it was full house and I could see Japanese or / and Korean people taken up most of the space. The place makes you feel not so Malaysia at all. There are Japanese comics and magazines for your reading. The deco is simple and the place is equipped with exhaust hoods - one for each table. I would say that this is ideal to get together after work for unwind and good food.

The place serves Japanese (or Korean) style barbecue and soon as we done with our order. A pot of hot burning charcoals was delivered to our table and placed directly beneath exhaust hood. Soon after that, the Korean pancake arrived.

Basically, it is a vegetable pancake fried and made fresh. Not long after that, our orders came and take a look at the photos below. Our orders were Value Set C that came with chicken thigh, lamb rack, squid, king prawn, and lettuce and Seafood Set that came with king prawn, scallop, and squid. Why so many seafood? Well, three of us just love seafood so much and at that time, we didn't know YET barbecue beef can be so tasty.

We get busy with the barbeue and honestly, the portion isn't up to our expectation and those meats were sliced too thin to my opinion. Anyway, the meats were well-marinated and you could just eat without any sauce and the taste is superb.

Speaking of the sauce, it goes very well with the meat I must say. It tastes like light soy sauce but not so salty like the usual Chinese one. It has sweet taste to it.

Maybe it was just me but the sizzling sound made me very thirsty and I drank more and more Korean traditional wine.

The barbecue part is easy and you don't need to be a barbecue expert. Everybody can do it. Just chuck the meat onto the gridiron. flip over a few times and that's it.

Here's what you do: Lettuce spread open in your palm. One or two slices of barbecued meat in the middle with a slide of garlic. Wrap it. Dip a bit of sauce (up to you) and then pop it into your mouth. I must say that the garlic actually enhance the taste.

We really enjoy Japanese barbecue so much and we order a few more rounds.

Beef shortrib set. Shortrib is one of the popular parts of the beef that is meatier and tender, according to Wikipedia.

I did not know beef could be so tastier. No, I have never tasted beef like that and I could not get enough. The shortrib is fresh and well-marinated and it doesn't have raw beef smell. It did not take long to finish it. Wanting to try more, we flipped through the menu again to check out more about beef.

We ordered a Special Set from the menu and it came with ribeye, shortrib, skirt flank, kimchi and bean sprouts. The set is good for 1 person and the price for this set is RM50.00!

I was looking at the dish and thinking to myself what's the taste like eating it raw. No, I did not try.

Despite the good taste of barbecue, I would like to say that all the set that we ordered did not manage to fill our stomach satisfactorily and at this point, our stomach were half full and we could still eat more. But we reckoned that the charges was too high for us and we might have to eat instant noodles for the rest of the month so we stopped there. Had one last order: Spciy miso soup with seafood and rice.

The soup is really nice this one. Mixed it with the rice and gobbled it down. Ah! Happy me.

Free fruit from the restaurant. I definitely will come back to dine here in the future.







2 comments:

Ah Min said...

well, nice food, hungry by seeing the photo, but will definitely burn your pocket if you come here often!

Ah Kean said...

Yes, everything comes with a price lo. Can't eat this on regular basis lah. Ha ha.