Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bad Driver

I was on my way home after work. While driving on the LDP highway, a motorcycle was driving in front of my car and on the left side of the road. As my car moved closer to the rear of the bicycle and about to overtake the motorcycle. My heart screamed "What the fxck!" and I immediately slowed down my car from 70km to 50km.

What I was seeing is this. A little girl of about 3 or 4 year-old without helmet was at the backseat struggling to hold on to the motorist's body. The motorist was wearing a helmet! This guy is about 40 something judging from his well-rounded body. I don't know about you but there and then, I feel like giving this guy a tight slap on his face and drag him to police. The little girl was put in a very endangering position and the motorist should know better!

It is wrong not giving the little girl a helmet and no excuse on that. It is wrong to put her at the backseat as she is not able to hold on to the driver's body as a way to steady herself at the backseat. I mean, how do you expect the little girl's arms to be long enough to encircle the adult body? The fact is, she was extending her arm to the maximum but her hands hardly reach to the front. The little girl should, at least, grasp on the t-shirt of the driver to steady herself but I supposed she did not know.

I was following the motorcycle slowly and carefully and hoping that it would not fall as that could be very unfortunate for the little girl. I was thinking to stop the motorcycle but then it crossed my mind that it wasn't a good idea to do so in the highway. Luckily, it wasn't long the motorcycle made a left turn exiting the highway. Nothing unthinkable happened.

How could the motorist be so ignorant of the safety of the little girl? Haven't we learned enough from the motorist accidents and statistics? At the micro level, this is about one irresponsible motorist. At the national level, no wonder motorist the highest death in the motor vehicle accidents. The general attitude of Malaysian motorist is really disappointing.

Am I right to say that it is such a shameful thing that the Sikap Operation has to be enforced with every festive seasons in Malaysia. What makes it worse is the fact that there has not been notable improvement over the years. Does it take a genius to understand the important of road safety?

1 comment:

Ah Min said...

poor little girl,there are so many insensitive parent inconsiderated and irresponsible, yet they are fortunately enough to escape unfortunate....!