Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Arisu Korean BBQ Restaurant

I love this post. I have not finished it yet. In fact, I am just started tying it down but I am doing it with a smile on my face already.

This week, God has been kind to me. Life has been worth living. Khir Toyo looks like a saint to me. Everything looks downright positive to me because I have discovered a place that I would go to whenever I crave for Korean food.

About a decade ago (correct me if I am wrong), our part of world here didn't find Korean things particularly interesting or hip and trendy. Suddenly, the Korean craze came to us like a big tornado swept us all off our feet. It started with love-worshiping, tear-inducing, heartbreaking Winter Sonata and then immediately followed by the equivalents. Soon after that, the Korean music, fashion, language, cosmetics, kim chi, and all things Korean were all around us. The craze went on and on showing no sign of waning. While everybody talked and did Korean things fervently, I was the one outside of the craze radar. Little did I know it wasn't for long.

I was hit the hardest when The Jewel Of The Palace (大长今) started its run on the television. Damn, Korean food never look so heavenly delicious before and I make sure I had my dinner before watching the drama because it would be torturing to me watching the display of Korean foods on television with an empty stomach. Suffice to say that right after that, I contributed my part in the growing of Korean food business around Klang Valley.

I would go to the extend to say that if you like to eat Korean food, go to those restaurants owned and run by Korean like Arisu Korean BBQ Restaurant. The restaurants that offer original Korean taste is much better than those trying to be Korean. Your chance of disappointment would be minimized. Feel free to disagree with me on this.

If you have been to Kota Damansara, you know this area is like food heaven. Arisu doesn't have a website, so I am going to tell you how to find the restaurant. It is located at the 2nd floor above The Red Bistro which is above Restaurant Fortune Garden. Look for Toyota Showroom then you should find Fortune Garden. Here is a photo for your reference.















How did I discover this place? Well, through a good friend's recommendation who shyly admitted to me that she eats there alone sometimes not because she is socially inapt but she really really enjoys Korean food far better than I do. Oh yes, she has a very popular name as well. What do you think about Pepsi for a girl's name?

Anyway, due to my lousy photography skills, I have recently learnt up photo-editing software. These photos have been enhanced so that they are closer to the original colours and hopefully, they make you drool like a baby as you read on. Ho ho.

I was there last week with Ah Chuein and we were to meet up with Pepsi for a dinner after a few weeks no-show due to work commitments.

Took the lift to 2nd floor. Out from the lift there is a signage on the right.















Soon as we walked in, the crew greeted us affectionately and courteously. This place is spotless! Look at the photos. They were taken at the time when all the other customers had left.





















What do you think about this place? The decoration is nice if you ask me. We ordered a Pepsi drink while waiting for Pepsi, our friend, to arrive. Ho ho.




























You know in Korean restaurant, you will be served with 5 to 7 side dishes together with the main course. As soon as we completed our order, it did not take long for the side dishes to be arranged nicely on our tables and my oh my, they were... just one word: Delicious! I usually finish up side dishes pretty quickly and normally get no or limited replenishment. This is the first Korean restaurant that keeps on replenish the side dishes and the waiters observe you closely. They observe how do you like your side dishes and replenish accordingly. For instance, our Kim chi, which was quickly eaten up was replenished generously for several times before we finally had enough. Here you go for the photos that I took on site dishes.





















































Damn it! I just realize that I miss out the kim chi photo. The pickled cucumber as shown in the last photo is my favourite. It wasn't too pickle-ish or should I say it did not taste too sour. Just nice. I love it.

We ordered a Korean soup. It is called Woo Gu Gee Gal Bi Tang. It sounds like Mandarin but I can only tell you that it is beef soup and not my personal favourite. The taste is alright.











It was fun reading the Korean menu. Do you know what is Tuk Bok Ee? Anyway, I don't think I spelled it right but definitely not a Chinese's name! It is Korean rice cake in thick spicy sauce and my heart melt at the very first glance of it!











This is Korean steamed egg and given free to us by the owner. Eat it while it is steaming hot. Don't let it gets cold.















Nak Ji Bok Eum. Noodle with fried octopus in special Arisu spicy sauce. It comes in big portion good for 2 to 3 persons. That was a lot of HOT green chili in it. I was speechless. Just eat it!











What do we do with lettuce and why do they serve us with lettuce? We are not here for salad... just as I get a little bit confused. The waiter...











brought out a big hot plate with mixture of meat and vegetable on it. It's Osam Bulgogi. I have no idea that Korean food can have an exotic name. Anyway, Bulgogi is barbecue beef. But this one has no beef in it. This dish is unarguably the best dish of the night and at the price pf RM35.00, I would just say it is taste-worthy! There are sliced pork (with thin layer of fat just the way I like it) and cuttle fish in special spicy sauce.















You take a lettuce. Spread it out on your palm. Place the mixture in the centre of lettuce. Wrap it up and pop it in your mouth! The vegetable and the mixture just... beyond word description.















Complimentary fruit from owner. The nice way to end our meal.















I know Korean food tends to get pricey but I would say that the money that we spent was worthwhile given the level of service and attention that we received and there are other items in the menu that I would like to try when I come back next time! I do notice that the restaurant serves customers with the fresh ingredients.

Damn, I feel so hungry now looking at those photos.

2 comments:

Lee (Your cousin sister) said...

Kean Ko, Mt. Kiara has a very nice one too, that we visited more than a dozen times. Don't remember the Korean name but it's "Ta Shi Kuan" (embassy) in Chinese. Give it a try....the kimchi is yummy yummy =)

Ah Kean said...

Ho Ho, thank you for the recommendation. I would surely check out that place!