Monday, April 13, 2009

Joanne Wong - Start From Here

I need to tell you about this album that I bought last year.










When I started this blog, I knew there and then I got to have a post about this album but I keep postponing it until now. I meant it to be the second post of this blog but somehow I just could not start. I tried a few times but I stuck in the introduction and it did not come out right.

Right now, I am taking it casually and at this very moment, I am listening to the album and working on the post wonder where it leads me to at the end.

...... I've never been the one to open up But you have always been the voice within The only one for my cold heart...... (Let's Start from Here)

Joanna Wong. What an ordinary name. It just like the average girl next door kind of name but her voice is anything but ordinary and the album is one of the best albums that I have in years. If you haven't any clue who is this girl, click here now to listen to her singing Moon River in Youtube which just blow me away.















I know that it might sound strange But you made my seasons start to change It happened so suddenly Like heaven has waited up for me...... (Lost in Paradise)

Very seldom I find an album that hooks me up immediately on the first listening and keep me playing it for the next few months without skipping any track in the album! If my memory serves me right, the albums that really did that to me are: David Tao's first self-titled and I'm okay album, AhMei's first self-titled album, Jay Chou's first self-titled album, Mariah Carey's first (Vision of love), second (Emotion), and third (Music Box) album, and er... yeah... the list can be long and that's all I can recall at the moment. It has been quite sometime now since I have this kind of addiction. It's just cool!

...... the cold and silent walls my stifled heartbeat oh it's best to leave the tv on...... (As Love Begins to Mend)

Her voice does not match her age. It is hard to connect the way she sings and her look! For a 20 year-old, she sounds like a veteran smooth jazz singer who would surely blow you away with her voice. Her voice is delicate, mellow, tender, and so smooth to listen to. She sings so effortlessly and unpretentiously. It is just impressive the way she tells the story through her songs.

The rustling leaves and the chilly midnight wind I wonder if it's your car pulling into the driveway Baby do you know what it's like to wait...... (Bada Bada)

Just when the mainstream singers are making waves and noises with entertainment headlines and spice up the image in order to sell more albums, Joanna is just low profile and let her talent / music speaks of her. Nothing complicated, just simplicity. This girl got class and style of her own that no other artist can easily emulate.

I'll be raising cattle And then some sheep Play the conga And then some sleep...... (Lost in Taipei)

What do I like in this album and which track? Well, let me see, I like every track in it! It has 2CDs: One in English and another one in Mandarin. Somehow I find the English one to my liking.












Two shadows talking but they don't make a sound Words have lost their meaning now...... (The Best Mistake I've Ever Made)

Ironically, she wasn't happy with this album despite it launched her career successfully and won her mountain of compliments from music critics and admiration from the fans. To her, the album is too commercial I read it somewhere. Go easy girl! Lot of people out there love this album. Doesn't t
hat's means something significant already?

Hey let's start running For no reason Let's start laughing Without any jokes When did we need excuses, to do what we do...... (For No Reason)

Click the above to listen to the song For No Reason at Youtube. Isn't her voice just... beautiful. I just don't know how else to describe it. It's just kind of sooth you and such a pleasant to ear. I mean you don't find her singing like Christina Aguilera whom has a great voice no doubt but when she sings live, she would strain and shout and simply show off her high pitch powerful vocal rather than singing the song. I remembered my ear bled watching her performance. No, I am not anti-Christina and she sings way better than Beyonce and Britney in my view.

Does nostalgia grow along the way Seeing your house far behind, far behind...... (Stages of Flying)

I miss home listen to this song. Feel like going home. The images of my old parents appear. That's exactly how powerful music can be sometimes. It connects with you innerly. That's what my next post is about: My home town.

The future's an illusion Don't fall for empty vows All we have is now...... (Now)

I think listening to this album it is like enjoying a cup of hot coffee with a very rich aroma. The smell of it immediately arouses you and you don't even taste it yet. It relaxes you and make you calm and be yourself. Music is just wonderful. Who would live without it?















Some folks like to get away Take a holiday from the neighborhood Hop a flight to Miami Beach or to Hollywood...... (New York State of Mind)

This song reminds me just about time I plan for an Island break. The blue, white, away from city noises, gentle sea breeze, a glass of lemonade, and Ah Chuin.

1 comment:

Mona Wong said...

I like her song too.. A very relaxing listening especially while driving.. :-)