Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Malacca And Jonker Street












That's the photo that I took from the front door of my house in Melaka one day in March 2009. I don't know why but I find the weather is, generally, so humid and hot than Kuala Lumpur everytime I go back to hometown. The sun was big and shone with all its might on that day and I remembered I wasn't able to open my eyes while taking the photo.

The air conditioner was working in full force to fight the heat and helped me remained sane. For a while, I thought I was still living in Bahrain. As her heat resistant level is lower than me, Ah Chuin took the best place under the air conditioner while frantically clicking her mouse in her quest of championing the whatever PC game she was playing.

Suddenly, mom shouted "Dinner's ready!" and I woke up from my dream.











Mum's cooking has it unique taste no other chef in this world could re-produce. It is the taste we are familiar with and grew up to like. I could always tell by my instinct which one is hers from different dishes put together by different people. It's the colours, presentation, smell, and you just know.

We had an early dinner. After shower, me and Ah Chuin were on our way to Melaka town. Despite being born in Melaka, I did not know the place well. I did not grow up in this place and I did not have many friends here. I grew up in Sandakan and I was there for 11 to 12 years.











Being a little adventurous, I took a detour from the usual roads and guess what did I see. Eyes On Malaysia in Melaka!

I like this photo. The gigantic wheel stand erected magnificently in the evening sun. We only looked at the wheel from far (From the flyover actually). It would be nice to take the ride and see the whole of Melaka from the top of the wheel!











Continued our journey, we ended up somewhere near Taman Bunga Raya. My oh my, I would say that Melaka has noticeable developments since the declaration of World Heritage City by UNESCO in July 2008. I think there are more and more tourists in Melaka compared to years ago. I hope the State Government would be able to bring more tourists to Melaka. Melaka is unique and deserves to be promoted for its uniqueness in history, culture, food, and people.







The photos were taken somewhere along the Taman Bunga Raya river. I combined them but I did not know that it could become so small after uploading it to the blog. Click on the photo for a view on original size. By the way, the smallest is yet to come!

One of the places that you should not missed in Melaka is Jonker Street. My favourite kind of place and very tourist friendly. It is a vast difference between Jonker Walk, Melaka (Heaven) and Chinatown, KL (Hell). I would spare you with horrible stories about Chinatown, KL. As a Malaysian, I would not recommend any oversea friends to Chinatown and I think the Tourism Ministry should not be promoting Chinatown, KL untill it is properly 'cleaned up'. Just my opinion.











A new landmark in Jonker Street is the newly opened San Shu Gong (三叔公) at the end of the Jonker Street and I think the business has been good since its opening!
















That's a lot of things that you can buy there, biscuits, snacks, white coffee, sweets, bottled juices, and whatever.









We were told the best cendol in Melaka is this small shop at the Jonker Street. We tried but not as good as we expected BUT the shop is unique and worthy of mention. In the shop you will see one huge collection of Coca-cola!









It is huge collection because the whole shop, every corner of it, is decorated with nothing but Coca-cola. It is what I call a shop-sized muzieum of coca-cola and they are everywhere on the tables, counters, shelves, and the auntie was so kind to let me photograph the place. If you have an opportunity, pay this shop a visit. It is near the end of Jonker Street. Wait, could there be a Pepsi shop nearby...













The Geographer, as always, filled with people and tourists. The cafe was completely dark and light-off at that time in support of Earth Hour.











So was this association which is famous for its line dance performance and always attracts a big crowd of onlookers. People are just curious animal, aren't they?











The best cendol in Melaka has to be this one right here: The stall on the left selling cendol whereas the right one selling noodles and snacks. There are always people queing up you won't miss it!






Not only you get to enjoy the food and cendol, eating in the restaurant is so nostalgic as you could see the decoration is old-fashioned and full with antiques: old posters, old lanterns, old telephones, old calendar, etc.











Cendol and corners of the restaurant. Let me warn you it is hard to get a table at peak time!















So many of you know the famous chicken rice balls of Melaka and guess what, you would find one in Jonker Street too. I am not too sure if this is the original shop.










One thing that I like about Jonker Street it gives you mixing and stimulating colours. I don't know about you but I like a place that is colourful and everywhere you see, different colours fill in every corner of your eye. I do not find the stuff here worth buying but those cute little things in sharp and bright colour attracts me greatly. Key chains, hair pins, toys, t-shirts, backpacks, shoes, slippers and etc. You would find a number of antique shops too.











I like these shoe bags but I am too old for this!










Who would miss this Orangutan House! Unique and creative design t-shirt. I did not know that photographing is not allowed but I did it and nobody stop me. Ha!











Jonker Street is a place that is pulling a lot of locals and tourists on the weekends or any given day. There are just so many people everywhere you go.















Lots of snacks and local foods to satisfy your gastronomical needs!






Cuttlefish anyone? Tried the crispy crabs and honey-coated cuttlefish. Not bad really. Have not seen it in other places in Malaysia.






Jonker Street is special because you get to see old and trendy things together. The building and architecture are just beautiful beyond word.






These photos were taken at the bridge and I remembered when I was very small before moving to Sandakan with my parents, the river was dirty and smelly but now it becomes one of the attraction as tourist could take the river boat to tour the Melaka town.











Across the bridge is The Red House but it was late so we did not continue our exploration. Anyway, I woule find another time to get more photos and introduce Melaka to the whole wide world.














4 comments:

Vy said...

You should totally go for the Eye of Malaysia! It's 50% off if you show your MyKad (that's RM10)...Really worth it...On my last visit to Malacca, I rode it and enjoyed every bit of it!

Ah Kean said...

I know I would regret it some more it is right there in my hometown! My head bleeding already (banging against the wall)

Anonymous said...

Nice photos!! Thumbs up. And ya the weather is super hot.

Ah Kean said...

Thanks Vince! Those photos are the last few ones from my Sony Ericsson K800i before it went dead. Anyway, you have written a nice intro on Jonker Walk!