Friday, May 15, 2009

Statistics















We are or will be part of the statistics.


Like it or not, the ultimate statistics that you, me, and all the human in this world would be in one day is death statistics or some may term it more graciously: The Passing.

No worry, this is not a post that intends to be thought-provoking or insightful on heavy subject such as death. I just want to share with you about this movie that I watched over a recent weekend and it is called 'Statistics' and this is one that worth recommendation.

Despite the recommendation, let me tell you in advance that this is not a movie review. I merely present to you what my thoughts are about this movie and if you do have an opportunity, don't miss this movie. This is not your typical or average Hollywood movie that promised A-class actor / actress or backed by multi-million production budget. This is not a typical movie that sends you screaming with the ghostly images, or the romantic story that leaves you mushy and sloppy over love, or none-stop actions that stimulate (or confuse, sometimes) your senses. This movie tells you coldly about life and how it is being disregarded by everyone of us every passing minute. It tells you life as it is: Unfair, obnoxious, pity, down-and-out and all the negetivity about life but we are to remember that this is a life worth fighting and living for.

So imagine that you are having a really bad day: A heated argument with your boss, or an ugly divorce, or a druggy son or anything that makes you feel absolutely miserable with your life and you would rather sleep your days over then to be up and aware. Well, there is always something that is worth living for or wake up to but you refuse to see it.

I won't be revealing much about the storyline. It is not a complicated story and this much I can tell you:

Life was totally unfair to him and pushed him to the point of explosion and that's what happened to an enraged Deejay who was called in by his boss despite the fact that he was sleep deprived due to a a fire broke out a night before destroyed everything he owns except for his car, wife, and two kids. He tried to get a day off from his boss to sort things out but his request was coldly rejected by his boss. So with his dejected mood, he dragged himself to the studio, went on air and he started to count statistics (rapes, murders, suicides, etc) to his audience in a very direct and unstoppable way: He questioned God / faith, he questioned human ignorance, he questioned inhuman actions, he questioned everything as if nothing is good in this world just like what we would do (normally) when bad things befall us: We think this world is just hopeless.

As portraits through out the movie, the life of us and others around us are fragile and deserve more appreciations. Death comes in many forms and can be just wildly unexpected. Imagine one of your good friends are being killed one day by just walking to his car and some teenager punks think it is cool to whack him from behind with a baseball bat in a moving car just to earn the respect from his peer 'Look, dudes! I can totally do that too and don't you ever mess with me!" One life perished because of one's vanity. How sad but very true. It is happening every day and somewhere in the world every passing minute.

The deaths in this movie are not the kind of death that comes with old age, graceful and painless passing. Their lives were snatched away disrespectfully, against their wish / will, and they all died of unworthy cause. One question that popped in my mind was: These individuals deserves some respect.

While watching the movie, I had flashbacks of road accident that I had encountered in my life thus fur and I have always been consistent in my reactions: I will drive past the scene without slowing down (If I know assistance is there) and I will never peek at the victim. Why such reactions from me? Because out of respect. If you are the victim or when you are at your dying breath, do you want strangers who have absolutely no help to your situation whatsoever to look at you? They are not mourning your death but they are merely onlooker. Of course, I did not mean to say that all those slow down to watch are doing it out of disrespect of the victim. That's just the way I give my respect to the victim.

Reading back what I have written so far made me realized that it is not so upbeat. The movie suggests to us one way to go through the saddest / darkest times are to look at what we have and find / remember that there are always good and wonderful things about life too.

Death is always a tragic thing to us and it is our wisdom that carries us through the saddest point in our life and there is no life unworthy of living. We are the lucky bunch for no being the statistics of 911, Tsunami, suicide bombers and etc. Be grateful everyday.

No comments: