Friday, July 10, 2009

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co

Bubba Gump. Well, the concept of the restaurant comes from the ever so famous Forrest Gump which I doubt you need introduction. The thing is I have watched this movie in numerous occasions and it has to be one of the personal favourite movies. It relates you to the histories and past happenings and no, this one don't get you fall asleep at all.

In case you don't know, Bubba is Forrest Gump's best friend while he was serving the army in Vietnam. In his dying breath, Forrest promised to take care of his family and to pursuit the dream of having a shrimp boat together with him and all that. This part of memory actually escaped me until one day I walked in The Curve and come across Bubba Gump. I have to tell you that it feels weird (very weird) having knowing that part of the story in a movie actually becomes real and right before your eyes and yes, the curiosity get the better of me. I walked in with Ah Chuin to have it a try and thinking that maybe Forrest Gump is sitting at the cash counter? Ha ha.

I will spare you the long story because I want this to be the quick posting. The food, ambiance, decorations and services are very good but the charges is on the high side, my opinion.










Nice place to chill out with friends and for your gathering. It has bar counter and I always like the deco very very much.

While the deco is nice, it is nothing but crappy restaurant if the food isn't up to expectation. Well, so far I haven't disappointed at all.

I am a shrimp person. I mean I really like shrimps. It has to do with the fact that I grow up in Sandakan and spend a long long time over there. Being a town that is close to the sea and all that, Sandakan gives you the best seafood and I was eating shrimps almost every other day when I was living there. And you get shrimp quite cheap.

And here I am, at the place that specializes in shrimp cousine in town. I would not give this place a miss.

First dish is Shrimper's Net Catch. It comes in garlic spice and cajun spice. This is an order I would not miss every time I eat here. You can order mixed flavours. Well I like the spicy one. Squeeze the lemon, it enhance the taste!

The thing about shrimp is that (ahem... clear my throat) as long as it is fresh and not over cooking it. It is just great to be eaten. You can just grill / stir fried / steam it and do it in any style of cooking. It is like taste from heaven.

Second dish is Cajun Shrimp. Well, I really like this because I don't need to peel and it tastes heavenly. Damn, what it is with me that I keep using the heaven word in describing taste! According to the menu, it is prepared in hot and spicy cajun butter sauce. I really love this one.





















Bubba's Baked Seafood Rice. It is way too cheesy to my liking and you know that kind of feeling that when you are having something too much it becomes harder to swallen down your throat. Half way eating the rice I feel like shovel the whole plate down Khir Toyo's throat over the exposed luxurious bungalow. Anyway, I think cheese lover would love / appreciate this dish much better than I do.

Shrimpin 'Dippin' Broth. As indicates by its name, it is shrimp in spicy broth and it comes with french bread for dipping. Well, the broth not so spice after all but this is a nice dish anyway.

Tossed Chicken Cobb and it comes with big portion good for 2 persons. It has chopped tomatoes, gorgonzola cheese, hard boiled egg, bacon, raspberry vinaigrette, grilled chicken and avocado.

If you like pop corn, would you want to try Best Ever Popcorn Shrimp? I would say save your money for better things. For me, I hope this item never existed in the menu because it is basically, fried shrimps in popcorn box and the popcorn box is half empty... Let me just say that I had better fried shrimps.









Alabama Mud Pie would be nice if it comes in smaller portion because me and Ah Chuin did not get to finish it despite the fact that we both love dessert.

Oh yeah, don't you think that me and Ah Chuin had all these foods shown here in one visit. These photos are combined from several visits.

No comments: