Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Said Who Muscular Guy Can't Act

I did not know what went on my mind on that day. I usually don't think too highly about action-oriented movie. In fact, I will skip as many as possible in recent years. For me, the action movie is like no-brainer to me (Sorry if I have offended you, just my opinion). The kind of movie that I would avoid at best. The minute the movie is over, you forget about what you have just watched. It's like bang-shot-boom-punch-crash-run-hero-takes-all. Err, what was the movie about I just watched?

But when I caught a glimpse at the front cover with its reflective movie title: JCVD, I automatically picked it up and read the storyline. Surprisingly, I like it - the storyline - but then I was skeptical. Can this movie be as good as the storyline? I haven't researched on the review and this could be one of the many disappointments of the year. Wait, there isn't any review because this movie was not even showed in Malaysia. I did not put it down. My gut feeling tells me. This one could be different - it must be!

What the heck!If it is really bad, turn off the player and go to bed early. So I bought the DVD.









Jean-Claude Van Damme. My impression of him is that he did a lot of action movies which would make me feel (Sorry! Van Damme) like puking. Just like Stellone, Arnold, and the like. Their muscular images are too prominent or too strong. They are the hero who take on bad guys and the more human they attempted to be in the movies, the more heartless those movie critique are to their acting skills. You hardly think that anyone of them can be versatile in movie. Can you imagine Stellone acting in Shakespeare? As much as he wants too but he can't. They are born to do action movies. Taking a more serious acting job is suicidal to their career. Like throwing money to the sea lah!

After finished watching the movie, I was blown away. How come this movie not shown in Malaysia? My oh my Jean-Claude I was taken aback this time. You did very well this time around. I can't believe I say it but I can see you now in the new perspective: You can definitely handle more serious acting job that the other gang. More human, fragile, vulnerable, and regular-guy role.











So here you go, JCVD is, in the movie, himself with a dying / down-the-hill career. He is down-and-out in his life. Financially broke. Entangled in custody with his ex-wife over his daughter. His luck really bad even Steven Seagal pinched his role. Seeking inner peace in the time of chaos, he flies off to his home country - Brussel - but unfortunately he accidentally walks into a robbery in a post office. What makes it worse is that the police mistaken him tobe the one who robs the bank and holds hostage! Needless to say, the robbers try to make use of him to escape.

If you are expecting Van Damme flexing his muscle punching bad guys out of day light and that's what you really like, well, don't bother to watch this movie. But if you are in for a good movie - comedy drama with a little bit of acting from Van Damme. Don't miss this.

Overall, this movie is superb in many criteria. I would say it is the best Van Damme movie to-date! In many level, this movie is not to be missed. You see Van Damme in better light and of course, how can I forget the director - Mabrouk El Mechri. Look forward to his new movie.


Said who muscular guy can't act! Don't expect oscar standard kind of performance. You'll be pleasantly surprised of Jean-Claude in this movie. I know I did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am i miss some line from your post?because i can't find any of the movie title....what movie is that.

Ah Kean said...

Alas! Slap my forehead. I forgot to mention it. Thanks for pointing it out. The movie title is 'JCVD'.

HJ® said...

the title is 'JCVD'? his initial wor? how vain... : p

then again, arent they (ie. Stallone, Arnold, Seagal, Van Damme, Lundgren) usually self-vain? *grin*

Ah Kean said...

Vain movie title but great movie! He he. One of the great surprises for me this year.